Want to organise a party to celebrate a birthday? Here are some tips to help you make it a success.
1. If booking a surprise party, you need to think about what the guest of honour would want. If you're the birthday boy or girl, then make sure you're planning an event you're going to enjoy.
2. Next up, think about what the other guests will want. Are you inviting family or just friends? The answers will dictate the type of party you might want to throw.
3. Draw up a list of who you'd like to invite and who is likely to come. At this stage, rough numbers will help you choose a venue.
4. Decide if you want a particular theme for the birthday party. For instance, do you want a cocktail party or fancy dress?
5. Think about where you'd like to throw the party. Will you be heading into your local town or, as it's a special occasion, would a big city be more appropriate?
6. Scout around for the best venues for what you want. The size of your party, the theme and the location should all help you draw up a shortlist.
7. Call up and find out what the venues have to offer. Some will do foods, others may not. Some may allow for private room hire, while others will just have tables that you can book.
8. Make sure your venue of choice is available on the date you have in mind and see if it can be provisionally booked.
9. Send out invites and confirm actual guest numbers. You'll then have to feed this information back to the venue and confirm the booking.
10. Make sure everyone knows where to be and when. If it's a surprise party, you'll also need to find a way of luring the guest of honour there, so get creative!
So, if you'd like to throw a top birthday party, draw up a list of everything you need and want, from the size of the venue to your birthday party theme.