Aloooooooohaaaa! Ok, that's lame, but your party won't be with these Hawaiian luau party themes!
As with most theme parties, you'll need a decent-sized room or backyard, or you can rent a party room. These themes, weather permitting, definitely would be great in an outdoor setting (especially if you have a pool). Also, these kinds are parties are popular in the winter to help people "think warm!"
One creative idea for a Hawaiian luau party invitation is to make fake flight tickets, arrival destination at Maui, Oahu, or one of the other islands on the date and time of the party. Other imagery that could be used includes beaches, Tiki, palm trees, Coconuts/Pineapples, hula dancers, etc. You could create a "Special Luau" flyer for a special party (birthday, anniversary...).
Other options for your Hawaiian luau party are to get tropical looking blank invitations or paper and print them on your computer, or to buy fill-in-the-blank invitations.
As far as dress, luau party themes call for grass skirts, leis, beach hats, coconut bikini tops, Hawaiian shirts, bright floral prints, etc. Be sure to note on the invitation if you expect your guests to dress up.
Favors (or game/door prizes) for your Hawaiian luau party guests can include palm tree shaped votive candles, a toucan candle, shell necklaces, leis (traditional and floral, even light-up ones!), hula girls and guys, poi or other Hawaiian dish samples, and any other small gift that is Hawaiian.
There are LOTS of decorations and favors for Hawaiian luau parties. Here are some ideas:
* Cover a wall with a Hawaiian mural
* Tan and blue balloons scattered about (beach colors) or tropical floral colors like yellow, pink, purple, green.
* Use any of several kinds of palm trees, parrots, tropical fish, and suns (inflatable, metallic, paper, tissue, lighted strings or otherwise).
* Exotic flowers (real or silk) or luau, hula, or tiki candle holders or luminaries can be table centerpieces or accents anywhere in your party area.
* Grass skirting on the tables is a neat touch too. If you really want to go all out, you can get a grass tiki "hut" and use it as the bar or other serving area.
* Don't forget to have luau or Tiki-themed tableware and napkins in bright colors, mix and match bright luau solid colors, or even shell-shaped plates and coconut cups!
* I personally love the Tiki look. Take a look at some of the luau (and Tiki) decorations that are available at Shindigz. They have decorative masks, flaming Tiki head, Tiki nut cups, even a Tiki Tower (totem pole) and "entrance!" CherylMakesParties has several luau tableware sets to choose from, including a very colorful Tiki set. They also have Tiki citranella candles, lights and invitations. And for favors, there are even Tiki bobbleheads!
Whenever I think of Hawaiian food, I think of pineapples and pork. Have a pork roast, if possible, and if not, have Sweet and Sour Pork Ribs as a main dish. Other Hawaiian delights could be: Ham with pineapple glaze, Lomi Lomi Salmon, Huli-Huli Chicken (Hawaii's version of barbequed chicken), pineapple/fruit salad, Kalua Pork, Chicken Long Rice, Pacific Rim Beef Salad with Ginger Sesame Dressing, Ahi or Fried Poke, steamed dumplings, egg rolls, Hawaiian sandwiches, potato crab salad, wontons, and volcano shrimp dip.
Hawaiian luau party desserts could include Pineapple Haupia, coconut cream pie, macademia nut cookies, banana bread, pineapple coconut bars, and other Hawaiian-related treats!
Don't forget tropical drinks for Hawaiian luau party themes! Be sure to have fruit punch (Pacific Punch), along with drinks like Blue Hawaiians, After Luaus, Pina Coladas and Daiquiris (both alcoholic and non-alcoholic). Include the basics like Kona coffee, beer, soda, iced tea, and wine. Get drink recipes at DrinkNation. Search on tropical, rum, beach, and similar terms.
If it's a birthday or other celebration, you'll need a cake. Or you might just want a cake as a dessert item. With a Hawaiian luau party, I'd go with coconut or pineapple upside down cake! Or you might want a round or sheet cake decorated with hula dancers, palm trees, a map of the Hawaiian islands, exotic flowers (with a lei around it!), etc.
Have a hula dance contest and do the limbo!
Have a Don Ho impersonator or hula dancers do a performance, or have your guests give karaoke or hula dancing a try. Regardless, you'll need Hawaiian music.